Locations
St Marys Close, Roughton, Norwich, Norfolk, NR11
Description
A woman raped by Norfolk cafe owner Andrew Hubbard has said her life has been “completely overshadowed” by the ordeal.
In a victim impact statement read at his sentencing, the woman – who cannot be named for legal reasons – said her life had been “completely overshadowed by anxiety and fear”. She feels “constantly in fear” and that “danger lurks around every corner”. The thought of seeing Hubbard or members of his family “terrifies” her. She is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), describing every day as a “battle for survival”. She is afraid to go out, “struggles to cope with everyday life” and says the offences have “robbed me of my freedom”.
Hubbard, 34, who previously owned Lily Mai’s (formerly Craft Burger) in Cromer’s New Street, was jailed for eight years at Norwich Crown Court on Friday for rape and controlling and coercive behaviour.
The court heard he entered the victim’s bedroom with his genitals exposed and orally raped her. The woman said she only complied because she was “so scared at that time”.
He was convicted after a trial that began in late September last year. Jurors deliberated for more than 11 hours before finding him guilty. He was cleared of a second rape, kidnap, voyeurism and escape from lawful custody.
Judge Anthony Bate said Hubbard’s conduct had a “profound” impact on the “vulnerable” victim.
Defence barrister Paul Mylvaganam said Hubbard intends to appeal his conviction but has apologised to the victim and expressed remorse. He described his client as a “successful businessman” who had tried to support his family from the “remnants” of his businesses. Sentencing was adjourned from December after Hubbard instructed a new barrister.
Hubbard, formerly of Hannah Close, Sheringham, and now of St Mary’s Close, Roughton, was also made subject to an indefinite restraining order and placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.
Police investigated after the victim’s identity was circulated online, breaching her lifelong anonymity. Judge Bate had urged Norfolk’s chief constable to launch a probe. The investigation has now closed.
A force spokesman said: “Following digital enquiries, no suspect could be identified as the original social media post, and associated meta data, is no longer available.” Anyone with information is asked to contact police.